Monday, October 12, 2009

Reflections on the National March for Equality

by Amelia Thomson-DeVeaux

Yesterday, I was one of the 70 Princeton students who traveled to Washington, D.C. for the National March for Equality. We boarded a bus (or, in my case, a rental car) at 6 am and drove three hours, jittery with coffee and adrenaline. I hadn't been to a march since 2005, when I marched in Washington for the end of the war in Iraq, but I remember that day being filled with quiet resignation - we knew, even as we filled the streets, that the war wasn't going to end. Yesterday was different. Surrounded by my classmates and people of all ages, genders, races, sexualities, and religions, I was filled with hope. It was a day of inspiration and joy - I have these days all too rarely, and I was incredibly grateful to spend it surrounded by people I loved, doing something that I loved.

I wrote about the march on Care2.com, and Emily Rutherford, one of the people who made it possible for so many Princeton students to go to Washington, wrote about it for Campus Progress. I'm not going to repeat my sentiments or Emily's; rather, I'd encourage you to read both posts. If you went to the march, we'd love to hear your reflections in the comment section, and even if you didn't, write about your thoughts. I think that yesterday was a crucial day for activists of our generation - let's keep the conversation and the energy going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home