Monday, June 22, 2009

Round-up of the past few hours, days, weeks

We're not even pretending to keep you updated on everything that's happening this summer - and my posts, at least, are mostly experiential. But just so that you're not totally out of the loop (although I hope that in our absence, you're following Feministing, Feministe, Jezebel, the Harpyness, and other fabulous feminist blogs), here is a very incomplete run-down of what's been going on recently. Enjoy!

Something I'm trying not to be bitter about: Terry O'Neill is the new president of the National Organization for Women. She was running against Latifa Lyles, who I knew last summer when I was interning in the NOW Action Center in DC - Latifa would have been the youngest president of NOW ever, and she's one of the smartest people I've ever met - I think she's exactly what the organization needed to pull away from accusations that NOW, a feminist icon, is unfriendly to young feminists. I don't know much about Ms. O'Neill's policies, but I love Latifa, so I'm very sorry that she's not president. I wasn't at the conference, so I don't know the details, but I think the election was a close one. Still, I'll admit that I'm angry that Latifa wasn't elected - and that NOW won't let people vote absentee. I'm in Vietnam currently, so there was no way I could make it back to Indiana to vote - even though I care passionately about NOW's future. Discriminatory against young women, who often don't have the time/money to travel to the conference? Maybe not deliberately - but it's pretty damn thoughtless - as NOW can sometimes be.

An nice reminder of the importance of Carolyn Maloney's Breast-Feeding Promotion Act, in the NYT yesterday.

In new reports of idiocy, some UK doctor wants abortion clinic ads taken down, because they're "sexy" and will thus promote "promiscuity."

If you're as horrified by the situation in Iran as I am, a post on the Frisky from last week will cheer you up (marginally).

Princeton's own Emily Rutherford writes about Facebook and the gender binary (you guessed it - Fbook isn't handling it well) for Campus Progress.

France is thinking about banning the burqa. Thoughts?

And while I'm at it, happy belated Father's Day to my dad. He's one of my feminist icons - he and my stepmother have 2-year-old twins, and even with two grown daughters, he's still changing diapers and reading bedtime stories. Thanks for everything, Dad - I love you!

And to our loyal readers: what's been happening in your summer? Think we're missing crucial events? Write it up in the comments section! We always love hearing from you.

2 Comments:

At June 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Emily Rutherford said...

Thanks for the link, Amelia!

 
At June 23, 2009 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous Molly B said...

Emily, what an awesome write-up of the Facebook issue! It's totally unfortunate that the company's proposed solution to overcoming their rigorously-imposed gender binary is to remove gender entirely: that is, if you choose not to conform to the binary, you become (at least on Facebook) UN-gendered. Not sure why they (pun definitely intended) think that's an appropriate fix to a problem specifically about the exclusion of certain gender categories. Way to go, Facebook. Thanks for the info!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home