Friday, December 5, 2008

"There's no crying in baseball!"

by Chloe Angyal

So I'm at home with a glass of red wine (OK, fine, it's a Dixie cup, but whatever), watching one of my favourite movies of all time, A League of Their Own. Baseball, swing music, Tom Hanks drunk and 1940s fashion, plus a serious feminist message - movies don't get much better than this, so I thought I would share it with you.
And so, for your viewing pleasure, here's one of my favourite clips from the movie, the bit where the social commentator condemns women's sports (as well as careers and higher education) for causing the "masculinization of women." It's nice to remember that anti-feminism isn't anything new. Skip to 4min20sec for some hilarious and (thankfully) outdated social norms.

1 Comments:

At December 6, 2008 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Claire said...

This has reminded me how good that movie is and prompted me to get my own copy out of it's plastic wrap and watch it right now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home