Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Complex women are unsexy. Like Playstations.

Ugh. The "I'm a Mac" ads were pretty appalling and reinforced some pretty ridiculous "nerd" stereotypes, and it was only a matter of time before people came up with a way to compare other competing devices, using sexism to drive home their message.
Here's "I'm a Wii,", which plays into tired old stereotypes that when it comes to women, "pretty" and "smart" are mutually exclusive, and that the pretty, dumb women are more fun to play with (get it, play, like with a console, but also play, like sexually, with a woman? It's pretty high brow. It could go over your head if you're not careful.)



Ugh. You know what's actually really unsexy? Comparing women to video game consoles.

Thanks to Elizabeth for the tip!

4 Comments:

At December 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM , Anonymous Sophia said...

BOO! I can't believe that exists! At least sometimes people pretend to be subtle about saying some types of people are better than others, but this is pretty straightforward. But what kind of ad for Wii is this? Good looking but non-functional? That doesn't sound like a gaming system I would like! So it's clearly just someone being a jerk.

 
At December 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM , Anonymous CristinaL said...

Great job Wii - that just made me want to buy a Play-station.

 
At December 26, 2008 at 12:33 AM , Blogger Franki said...

I'm gonna second what Sophia said. I love the Wii, but this just made it look like a functionless waste of time. And if the awkward underwear gyrations are what they expect to catch and keep anyone's attention? I'd say this ad places both women and gamers in an extremely poor light.

 
At December 27, 2008 at 3:10 AM , Blogger Roscoe said...

eh, get a sense of humor, this is goddamned hilarious!

I think this touches on the whole subjectivity of this matter, though. I feel bad that I find it hilarious, don't get me wrong (but I mean, c'mon, fixing the camera on the girl's breasts while "playstation" was talking is just golden). Obviously it sucks that some people take this seriously, and maybe even that the people that made it wanted people to take it seriously, but given a different context, I'm pretty sure this skit could be liked by more people.

I'm not saying I endorse the objectification of the female body for ads. But in a way, I think this is so blatantly obvious that it has to be tongue-in-cheek. And if it isn't, well, sometimes you just have to laugh at the absurdity, take it in stride, and have it rekindle your passion. Taking life too seriously can get remarkably taxing, or so I hear, I don't really know, life is just a big joke to me anyway.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home