Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Strong women who make me weak at the knees: Amanda Marcotte

by Chloe Angyal

I've written a lot about my love for feminists like Sarah Haskins, Rachel Maddow and Courtney Martin, all of whom are out in the public eye, using their intelligence and humour and being open and unapologetic feminists. These women rock my world.
And now Sarah, Rachel and Courtney are joined by one more badass feminist girl-crush: Amanda Marcotte.
Marcotte is the host of RH Reality Check's videos and podcasts. The videos are short point-counterpoint summaries of the major issues in the reproductive health debate: should health insurance plans cover birth control if they cover erectile dysfunction medication? Is abstinence-only sex education effective? And so on. They're short and to the point, and Marcotte manages to restrain herself on the eye-rolling and and eyebrow-raising in a way that I just can't manage.
The podcast is also great, and is a really good way to spend a commute or a workout - Marcotte interviews experts in the reproductive health field, as well as cultural commentators and authors. She asks tough questions and isn't afraid to call an interviewee out if she thinks they're skirting the question or glossing over the facts.
And if that's still not enough Amanda Marcotte for you, you can read her blog. I'm also putting her book It's a Jungle Out There on my "to read when my thesis is finished" list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home