Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Surviving Princeton's inverse social ladder

By Angie D

I have always known that at Princeton there exists an inverse social ladder for men and women. Freshmen “boys” are chopped liver and freshmen “girls” are, well, fresh meat. I think I may have taken this for granted as a freshperson, but now as a senior – presumably no longer a girl but a woman, and therefore a has-been or a threat because I have opinions and self-esteem – I no longer take this social perversion in stride, but rather as a bitter (jagged, little) pill to swallow.

While I’m a little perturbed at the idea of 4 years having decreased my desirability fourfold, I think I’m beyond allowing others to value my assets. What really bothers me is how much senior women have bought into this idea. So here is my morning-mirror-affirmation for any female who’s ever been told “Wow, your life is consumed with trying to get a job and trying to get laid… And you’re not getting either!” (A special thanks goes out to a close male friend for trying to sum up my life as a quest for those two Holy Grails – cash and ass.)

Deep breath, here goes: While I know that I am as attractive as I was four years ago – probably more so, it is inconsequential, because I will not slide up and down some ladder as I enter college, the job market, the “real world” or any other construct that brackets the ages between which I am acceptably nubile or offensively beyond my expiration date.

Exhale. Doesn’t it feel good to knock down the ladder?

Now maybe if the freshman “boys” tilt their end of it, we can really start a revolution.

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2008 at 1:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riiiight, keep telling yourself that attractiveness, and its age-related deterioration, is a social construct. Biology ain't got nothing to do with it.

 
At November 15, 2008 at 6:25 PM , Anonymous Derek G said...

You're absolutely right, anonymous, because of course we all know that biology causes "age-related deterioration" of college seniors in their early twenties.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home