Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sarah McLachlan on being "the face of modern feminism"

By Chloe Angyal

Singer Sarah McLachlan was interviewed by AOL music this week, and was asked, years after she started the all-women music festival Lilith Fair, how she responds to claims that feminism is outdated. She responds like this:

"Oh, I highly disagree with that [laughs]. We still don't have job equality, we still don't have equal pay. There's discrimination everywhere. I saw it was a daunting task being the new face of feminism, but at the same time I recognized the weight and the gravity of it. I was trying to uphold what I thought feminism was as best I could by supporting women, by trying to create an opportunity to get women to get together, play music together and celebrate the fact that we are having great success making music on our own and together."

Check out the rest of the interview, including what McLachlan has to say about raising feminist daughters here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home