Thursday, October 9, 2008

Joe Biden - the real women's candidate

By Chloe Angyal

I really should have put "women's candidate" in inverted commas because the phrase annoys me to no end, as though women do, or should, care about different issues to men. The economy, education, healthcare, foreign policy, energy, reproductive rights, yes, even that last one, are issues for everyone to care about - they affect everyone, regardless of gender.
The idea that women care, or should care, more or less about certain issues than men do has given rise to ridiculous attempts to woo women voters (see "Palin, Sarah"), and only feeds the idea that women vote with their babymakers and not with their brains (yeah that's right, I said "babymaker").

But punctuation and semantics aside, Morra Aarons-Mele at The Guardian thinks that Joe Biden is the real "women's candidate":
"I want to give some love to Joe Biden, and to strongly urge undecided women to consider that a vote for him is a vote for their best interests. Like Hillary Clinton, Biden supported the Iraq war and is far more corporation-friendly than Barack Obama, which makes a lot of progressives dislike him. But in the year of the prized woman voter, Biden is a strongly pro-woman candidate."
Read the rest here.


Sidenote, I found this photo and I think it's hilarious. And I'm so glad I found an appropriate post for it.

1 Comments:

At October 20, 2008 at 3:38 PM , Blogger LSG said...

I've been reading and loving all your posts, Chloe, and I think this one is important. The anger, frustration, and even fear that Sarah Palin has inspired (for oh, so many reasons) are, in my opinion, fully justified. I could write for pages, as so many have. But I think that even within the vice presidential race there's room for cheer -- and that is due in large part to Joe Biden. Yes, I think it is despicable that Wasilla attempted to charge women for rape kits while Palin was in office -- but we shouldn't forget that our other option is the man who championed the Violence Against Women Act. Among his long list of other qualifications, Biden is unmistakeably pro-women, and I think we should spend as much time celebrating him as we do reviling his opponent.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home