Thursday, October 23, 2008

Happy Halloween!

By Franki Butler

Halloween is hands-down my favorite holiday. Spooky is chic, there are unlimited amounts of candy, and I get to dress up however I want. How could this be any less than awesome? Well, the pressure come out tarted up to the max certainly puts a bit of a damper on things.

Mean Girls got it right when Cady said that Halloween had become an excuse for girls to dress provocatively. That can be fun, sometimes – it’s always nice to have a reason to pull out the fishnets or that too short silver lamé dress without the entire Street wondering what the hell you were thinking. But when it becomes the driving force behind your evening, when “how can I show the maximum amount of skin?” takes the place of “how can I have fun?” we have a problem.

This is not meant to be a condemnation of those of you who will be running about nearly-naked this evening. I’m donning a corset and fishnets to be a saloon girl; I certainly have no room to judge. I’m doing it because I absolutely love the costume I came up with and because I’m genuinely excited about it. If your evening is also going to be more sexpot than spooky, take a moment to make sure that you’re doing it because you want to, and not because that’s just what Halloween’s become.

Be smart, be safe, and remember that this costume isn’t a good idea on anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home